Me and David Lee

Me and David Lee
Riding together for the cause!

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Flats, Flats and more Flats


Our Sunday group ride was from Del Mar to Hwy 67 via Scripps Poway Parkway then north to Ramona and back to Del Mar. We shortened the normally 72 mile ride a bit due to delays from all of the flat tires we had. One of our riders had three flats and I had my first. Changing the tube in the field was no problem. I was glad that Hooter (one of our ride leaders) was ahead of me as he likes to change the tube for you and I needed the experience. The change went smooth especially with Diane Brown's help (our other group 4 ride leader) getting the rear wheel back on. I found a big goats head thorn in the tire. Once we were back on the road all went well and the four of us who were together when I had the flat pedalled hard to catch up to the main group. The SAG stops (Support and Gear) were especially well done. Don't get me wrong they are always great but last Sunday they were outstanding! We had fresh fruit all cut up on skewers and bananas cut in half so they were easier to peel in addition to the peanut butter filled pretzels, raisins, peanuts, power bars, goos etc. Tina ( I call her Saint Tina) and her friends who help with the SAG stops are awesome! They are unpaid volunteers who generously donate their valuable time. I so appreciate all that these wonderful ladies do for us. In fact in the photo you see me eating at one of our stops. It is good to refuel and rest a bit before pedaling on. Sunday we had 2 SAG stops and of course multiple stops for flat repairs. I think the training is helping as I was sprinting at the end of the ride and felt like I could have gone another 20 miles. I am looking forward to the Challenged Athlete Foundation event at B&L Bike and Sports in Solana Beach Wednesday evening. Of course my big fundraising event is this Saturday night 7PM at my house. The Poker Tournament should be a ton of fun and the prizes are over the top. There are 20 or so spots still available so if you or anyone you know likes poker or is a Charger fan call me (619-322-8894)or e-mail me rjmillum@sbcglobal.net to register. Having the chance to be on the field as an official Chargers photographer during the Charger/Bronco Monday Night game is a terrific opportunity. This is also the Chargers Legacy home game so the boys will be in their throwback uniforms and many of the former Charger greats will be there for you to photograph! Two lucky tournament players will end up with these prizes and there is so much more! For example an Antonio Gates autographed football, Charger signed apparel by Shawn Merriman and other players too, a Ken Caminiti autographed baseball, massage gift certificates etc. etc. Thanks again to all of you who are supporting me in my quest conquer the challenge of riding the 620 miles from San Francisco to San Diego in October. It is a wonderful cause and I appreciate all of your support!

1 comment: