Me and David Lee

Me and David Lee
Riding together for the cause!

Monday, September 14, 2009

Back 2 Back Centuries or room with a view






Where to start? This weekend was my biggest challenge yet and oh so rewarding. We started early Saturday for the immunity challenge and Joy was the winner once again. She was able to name all 14 ride leaders, coaches, ride chairs etc. Good for you Joy! Next up was day 1 of our 2 day 100 mile back to back rides. Group 4 was raring to go and we had a good ride with no flats or trouble on Saturday. At our 1st SAG stop I met Dan a paraplegic who had e-mailed the Challenged Athletes Foundation just the day before about a grant. Dan wants to get active and competing again. He saw the CAF logo on our support van and came over to visit. We talked a bit about how the CAF can help him and I introduced him to David Lee who encouraged him as well. The last 6 miles or so was spent climbing and it was a nice challenge at the end of day 1. The Terranea Resort where we stayed was incredible. Right on the ocean in Rancho Palos Verdes and beautiful. We had a buffet dinner with all of the riders and it was good to have a chance to talk to some of the men and women in group 1 and 2 as I am not able to ride with them yet and don't know them as well. Rob Tennant one of my group 4 buddies and I shared a room and after the USC game we both were out. Day 2 started better for me than Saturday. I felt good at the start and all was well until mile 68. Cyclists call it bonking and I bonked big time. This is from a lack of nutrition. I was not replacing calories as quickly as I was using them. I became light headed and had little stamina. I felt like I was pedaling hard and should be going 15 to 17 mph but was going 12 then 11 then 10 etc. I began to worry about my ability to finish the ride. Fortunately our lunch SAG was at mile 70 and that really helped. I was last to the SAG and everyone knew something was wrong. Group 4 is fantastic! I am certain I would not have made it without their tips and encouragement. I was fine for 12 miles then bonked again even worse this time. Diane Brown ride leader kept feeding me nutrition gels and that got me through. The back to back centuries are the hardest physical challenge I have faced. I learned a lot and am looking forward to the QMDC ride in October. Between the group 4 riders, ride leaders and Mike Henderson a group 2/3 ride leader who was last years radio contest winner I am confident I can and will make it in good shape and enjoy it too! The friendships and relationships being built are irreplaceable. Thank you again G4 for all of your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment