Me and David Lee

Me and David Lee
Riding together for the cause!

Monday, September 7, 2009

Busy Weekend



Boy what a weekend this was. I decided to raise awareness for the Challenged Athletes Foundation and XX radios Scott & BR show at the Charger game Friday evening. My brother made up 4 incredible posters and I borrowed my nephews bike trailer. My lovely wife Jayne helped me dress up the trailer and made a donation box etc for the ride. We went to the game extra early arriving at 4pm. Instead of tailgating, this time I rode around the parking lot slowly talking to anyone interested about the Qualcomm Million Dollar Challenge, the CAF and the Scott & BR cycling team radio contest. It was too hot for Jayne to ride along and I am sure she got bored waiting for me but it was very worthwhile and she has enough patience for both of us! I found that most people were not aware of the Challenged Athletes Foundation or what they do. It was great to have the opportunity to explain why this is such a great cause. There were quite a few that listen to Scott & BR and were aware of the radio contest I am still in. I received lots of well wishes from the listeners. I rode my comfort bike instead of the road bike I will ride from San Franscisco to San Diego on. Man I forgot how comfortable the seat is on my old trusty Schwinn! All went well except for one bit of drama. Traffic backed up and forced me to ride well to the right. On the street I am always looking for parked car doors to open so I don't get wiped out. Well I almost missed the porta potti door when it opened. I slammed on the brakes and barely missed being taken down by an outhouse door! The bike trailer went straight up in the air and my flyers and handouts went flying. Lots of folks around helped put everything back and I was riding again in short order. Glad I didn't go down. I already am known for falling when I forget to take my shoes out of the pedal clips in time. I am not sure how I would explain being knocked over by a porta potti door. The remaining radio contestants arrived at Fletcher Cove at 6:15 am Sunday for another immunity challenge. This time Vikki from the CAF who has faithfully been there for all registered riders and radio contestants alike had us choose a water bottle from a bag. One of the bottles contained immunity. Joy Muehlenbein chose the winning bottle. Then Vikki explained that the CAF and the contest are all about teamwork and friendship so hand the immunity off to a team mate. Joy thought carefully for a moment and chose Adam Beck who now has immunity 2 weeks in a row. It was awesome to see Joy give up her immunity so selflessly. The ride itself was an easy 40 miler through Elfin Forest country. Yeah I said easy. I wouldn't have thought 4 months ago that I would associate easy with anything in a 40 mile range other than driving. It just goes to show what we can accomplish with consistent training, the mentoring of our ride leaders and trainers, the great friends and teammates I have met from this challenge and of course the inspiration from the challenged athletes like Fred, David Lee and Rachel Cowan I have had the privilege to meet and get to know a little bit. Like the name of this blog "I wish I could do more". On the contest front there are only 6 of us left. I cannot imagine how they select anyone for elimination as everyone really deserves to be awarded a grant to make the ride. One of us except Adam will be eliminated Wednesday morning between 6:15 and 6:45am. Of course I hope to make it to the finish but have to admit that I am no more worthy than any of the other contestants. As I told my fellow contestants there are no losers in this challenge we are all winners so lets all fundraise and find a way to complete the QMDC ride together in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment